Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Parable of the Ten Virgins

Well, I have a good friend named Liz, she called me one night and asked that I help sing in the play that are ward was going to do... I laughed at Liz, I was not going to sing, at church and by myself... with a week to prepare... I though that she was crazy... Well, I love Liz like a sister and there was no way that I would have ever told her no.

Not only was I needing this in my life at the time she asked, I feel that I learned that even when I am not "wise" I am still loved by my Heavenly Father... This is sometimes a hard concept to believe, I think it, I know it, but sometimes it is still hard to believe it...

The shopkeeper in this story looks so much like the Savior, which amplifies the meaning. The parable is told in a different way. First, it explores the lives of each of these ten virgins. Who were they? What kind of lives did they lead? At one point, I identified with one of them so strongly that it made me teary-eyed in our practice's. The parable goes on to explain what happened when the bridegroom came. After getting to know these sisters, all of whom were good women, it made the story so much more real and intense. It left me with a profound determination not to be one of the foolish women but it also made it OK if I am there is still hope. It made a difference for me.

No comments: