Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lovin' the Outdoors























I am an eternally curious soul, every time I go outside - either with or without my kids and camera - I’m learning, I’m absorbing sights and sounds, I’m thinking about the things I want to pass on to my own children (or anyone else’s for that matter). Hopefully I’ll never stop learning: new names for birds, plants, and insects I’ve never noticed or seen before, for example; new ways of living which impact less than the way I lived the day before; gaining new understanding of how the world works and how I fit into it. I still learn so much these days just by getting outside into outdoors, by getting my hands dirty, by taking a deep breath, closing my eyes, and letting the world wash over me. And I’m far happier for it…

And virtually every contribution has a common theme running alongside the titular subject - learning in the great outdoors is a joyous thing: it’s uplifting, it’s life-affirming, it’s fun, and if every single one of us were out doing it we’d be a far less stressed-out, relaxed, happy bunch of folks. And if that’s not a recommendation, then what on earth is…?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you love to learn and teach your children. I love that about you and wish I had more of it in me.